Monday, June 29, 2009

One Year Ago!

A day we will never forget! A roller coaster of a day it was. The day Kayley Alice-Renee decided it was time to show us who was really boss! Doing things her own way!
I was to be induced that morning, but Kayley decided that she was coming on her own time -water broke about 8 hours before being admitted - after weeks of thinking she would be early!
Many of you may not know how Kayley came into this world - not breathing. For the first 4 1/2 minutes Kayley would not take that first breath of air. I cannot tell you how much of a scary time that was for Tony and I. I tear up every time I think about it, and talk about it. Her first apgar score was a one, meaning pretty much non-responsive. With 7 or 8 nurses working on her, slapping her feet, pulling on all limbs, oxygen over her mouth, all trying to stimulate the little gray, limp body that we loved since we knew we were pregnant. It was a terrifying moment for us - and our mothers who were in the room with us. However, after 4 1/2 minutes, she took that first breath of air - and recovered fully! Apgar score at 5 minutes was a 9! Pretty much meaning fully responsive! What a miracle. We hate to think about what could have been - it's hard not to! Kayley is so full of life, always smiling, such a good spirited baby, that it pains me to think I may not have ever known the Kayley that I know today. It has just really instilled a different kind of faith in God for me - a faith that He is the one in control, He does have plans for us, and that He does perform tiny miracles everyday! Kayley is living proof of that! I know that He has a plan for Kayley - and it will be amazing! Happy Birthday Kayley Bayley - you mean the world to us!

An emotional start, but here she was when I got to hold her for the first time, breathing!

Precious baby!

Right before going in at 1:00 am!

Such a happy mommy!











1 comment:

The Erickson Family said...

Oh what a cutie! What a story and yes, a miracle!!! God is so good!!! What a blessing and I can't wait to meet her.